- Currently there are more than 123,000 men, women, and children awaiting organ transplants to save their lives. Thousands more are in need of tissue and conrea transplants to restore their mobility and sight
- Register to be an organ, eye, and tissue donor today to provide hope to those who wait
Organ & Tissue Donation Program
- The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the USA has joined forces with Donate Life America to increase donations of organs, eyes and life-saving tissue.
- The Grand Lodge, Fraternal Committee is asking Elks Lodges nationwide to promote the Organ Donor Program in their Lodge Bulletins and Lodge Web sites to help inspire members and citizens in their communities to make these life-saving donations.
- Even though 95% of Americans are in favor of being a donor, only 54% of the U.S. adult population, are registered organ, eye and tissue donors. Nationally, nearly 33,600 patients began new lives in 2016 thanks to organ transplants. 683,000 have taken place since 1988. Every year 1.5 million tissue transplants are performed. 48,000 patients have their sight restored through corneal transplants each year and 1,500,000 since 1961! Unfortunately, 119,000 men, women and children currently need life-saving organ transplants. Then, add another name to the national organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes. No wonder an average of 22 people die each day from the lack of available organs for transplant!
- We Elks Members can help close the gap! The effort of Lodges to promote the program through their Bulletins and Web site can gain them five points in their quests to be named an All American Lodge. More incentives will be announced in coming years as the program takes shape throughout Elkdom.
- For more information on the importance of donation and how to become a registered donor in your state, click on the Donate Life icon to go to the Donate LifeSM web-site, or by logging onto www.donatelife.net. This is a great way to show that “Elks Give from the Heart.”